Welcome to my collection. My topic is birds and I collect mostly covers but I will show you a variety of philatelic material that is part my collection.

Tuesday 11 January 2011

I am starting 2011 with a cover from the Faroe Islands. The above row of stamps is a full set issued in 1998 while the bellow row comes from a set of three issued in 1977.
European or Common Starling (Stumus vulgaris): This species are located in western Asia and temperate Europe. Some of the northeastern populations migrate south and west. It has 12 subspecies one of which, Sturnus vulgaris faroensis, can be found in the Faroe Islands. As a result I believe this is the bird shown on the stamp. It eats mostly insects but it can also eat seeds, nectar, grain and fruit.
Common or Eurasian Blackbird (Turdus merula): It can be found in Asia, Europe, North Africa and as the bird above it has been introdused to New Zealand and Australia. Depending on the area it lives it can be migratory or non-migratory. It eats berries, fruit, insects and earthworms. It has 15 subspecies. In the Faroe Islands lives Turdus merula merula.
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus): This wader can be found in Asia, Europe and subarctic North America. It has four subspecies and it is migratory. It eats small invertebrates and small crabs.
Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago): It has already presented in the past.

1 comment: